Listed Below are 5 helpful tips to improve your bone health:
- Trunk Lifts - trunk lifts build strength in your back bones by doing reverse sit-ups; lie on your stomach and lift up your trunk.
- Vitamin D3 - a daily dose of Vitamin D3 helps your body absorb calcium. It is also known as the "sunshine vitamin" because we make it when our skin is expossed to sunlight. If you live in the Northeast, however, you cannot depend on getting enough daily sun year-round to make sufficient Vitamin D3; So taking the supplement is encouraged.
- Lift Weights - Pump a little iron in addition to your cardio. Strength training with high loads and low repetionions can increase bone mineral density in women.
- Increase Your Dairy Intake - Calcium is not produced by our bodies; so we must get it from food or supplements. Calcium is essential for many bodily functions (including heart rate regulaitons), so if you don't have enough in your diet, calcium will be taken from your skeleton. If you are ellergic to dairy, you should talk to your doctor about good calcium supplements.
- Walk More - walking is a weight - bearing activity that increases the bone density in your hips. Gradually build up to walking at a moderate pace for 30 minutes, five days per weeek. Other wight-bearing exercises include tennis, jogging, volleyball, calisthenics, aerobics, stair-climbing, and dance.